Sunday 1 November 2015

It’s been a funny old time in politics................




...........confusing almost. But then, the cynic in me might just say that certain politicians and their parties try to confuse me.. 

But take a moment and stop and think about it: ’parties’. None of the family & friends’  parties I’ve ever been to take money from me for the sake of being there. And, they never invite me with the promise of a super feast, lots of it, drink, music and good company, well into the wee hours, only to find when I get there, having thrown my coat on the bed in the back bedroom, that  it’s not much more than cold porridge, left overs; a wonky cd, and some old faces from the past skulking in the corner talking about …..their past. (Boak!)

No, my real family and friends, don’t offer inducements, don’t kid me along and don’t lie to me. But hey, that seems to be they way of (some) politicians, (some) parties!

If ‘parties’ are not confusing enough, how confusing was the House of Lords? Unelected by me and my ilk, but getting paid £300.00 a day by me and my ilk, the HoL decided to oppose the elected MPs in the House of Commons (elected by me and my ilk). That’s democracy or not: depending on your point of view. Or depending if you can think independently of your ‘party’. (#Robot. #Robot!You talking to me? ME? )

Now MPs might not get £300.00 a day (do the math on their salary) but they do get ‘expenses’ and a majority of these MPs decided to take away ‘benefits’ and ‘credits’ from many of those who had elected them. (Mm..'expenses' 'benefits', 'credits')
Those MPs said it was to ensure ex-recipients work harder, earn more and spend it. When you’re poor you don’t save anything: you spend it all just to keep going, believe me. 

Just one of the confusing points: these are people: families, like you, like me. But to create a wedge between us, there are convenient labels: some are ‘scroungers’, some are ‘work shy’. Labels are good by the way, and not confusing, since it means I can always put ‘them’ into pigeon holes. (Holier than thou).  
So, when ‘working poor’ are in just one, poorly paid job  (it must be  poorly paid, cos they are working, remember and get 'benefits' and 'credits', but not 'expenses')  the logic .....not confusing outcome....must be: they should work two or three jobs at once. 
You know, full time, day time, and part time evening. Or two, three part time jobs in the one day. Phew! Glad that’s sorted. 

But in the meantime, what might happen to ‘them’ when the benefits and credits are cut?  
Silly me! I forgot the food banks! At least ‘they’ won’t need to buy food 7 days out of 7, since ‘they’ can get a 3 day free voucher, every now and then.  

Even then, our kind #bettertogether government are providing more help, and it’s free. 
See. You don’t have to pay. They’re saving you money!
That nice man Mr. IDS is going to help ‘them’. 
When they pop into a food bank, thus saving money for maybe transport to and from all the different jobs, or paying for child care, he’s going to have paid staff on hand to tell them how to get a job, thus helping them make #Change and have #betterchoices.

I am sure nice, kind Mr. IDS -  I Don’t give a Sxxt : one day I will be a Lord/ -  will pay rent to all the vol ogs, churches, halls etc that host food banks, thus making sure the host organisations can put more money into food banks. See, it’s logical, not confusing.

But really, you want confused? Then try the Labour Party in Scotland. 

The Party members in Scotland voted to scrap Trident. Good, not confused.
That means, Labour Party members in Scotland (keep up, don’t get confused…there is no Scottish Labour Party) agree with Corbyn, the  (UK) Labour Party leader. 
Unfortunately, it also means Corbyn and Scottish members disagree with Tom Watson, Deputy (UK) Party Leader and the majority of Labour MPs. 
But hey, they do agree with the sole Scottish Labour MP. Ian Murray. Ian agrees with Corbyn and the members. 
But wait, that means Corbyn, Ian and the Scottish members disagree with their (Scottish) leader #Dugdale. 

Not content with that, Corby, Ian, the Scottish  members now disagree with the (UK) Party,  who want to keep WMD and not spend (the) savings from scrapping Trident on improving services, creating jobs, supporting the working poor...............

God, I am confused, so I just might go and lie down in the darkened, back bed room…but I am too frightened of what I might find under that pile of old coats left over from the last party!


House of Commons 

credits and benefits 

working poor stats: JRF  https://www.jrf.org.uk/

Ian Duncan Smith MP   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Duncan_Smith 

Ian Murray MP  http://www.ianmurraymp.co.uk/

Kezia Dugdale MSP http://www.keziadugdale.com/

Scottish Labour vote to scrap Trident   http://www.bbc.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment