Saturday 8 March 2014

March winds blowing in change



It’s taken me a while to acknowledge that I’ll be voting for independence. 
Mainly because I grew up in a Scottish, working class family that always voted labour. I knew no other, and wouldn’t have considered ‘another’ when voting in the past: 
I’ve not given up my beliefs, but times change, and so must I. 
I cannot support the Union now, not with the potential of an independent Scotland.

I was fashioned in my political views firstly by my Scottish granny, then my parents, the friends I have now, and my experiences over the last 30 years or so since returning home to Scotland. 
But all through ran another vein: my father, coming to Scotland to study in the 1920’s from (then) British India, instilling in me not least: the need for education and the value of independent thinking. He gloried in the independence of India and the creation of Pakistan, followed by every other emerging country that gained its independence. 

Having married and with three small children, living in Pakistan and Bangladesh, I experienced military dictatorships, stood in queues to cast my vote, had my thumb marked with indelible ink, and lived through a war fought for independence. 
Times change, circumstances change, and so must I.
I don’t see myself betraying my political views, I see myself having the opportunity to progress them, and to shape an independent country reflecting the votes of those living here; ensuring our votes result in the government we vote for.

This is a time, a prospect that won’t come my way again. I hope to continue to engage with others, before the vote later this year.Perhaps like me, some have previously voted one particular way and wondered about change. But isn’t it better to be part of the change, to direct the change….and not have change imposed? 
Surely, it is even more of an imperative that as women we play a full part in the process. And this weekend of all, celebrating International Womens Day.

Our close association with the NHS as women, mothers, carers;  as users of education systems, either ourselves, or as parents and guardians;  workers - employed, unemployed, underemployed;  business women seeking start ups, loans and ways to expand our business;  seniors who have paid in our dues over the years;  those vital volunteers …..we are all voices within Scotland, whatever our role and contributions. Voices need to be used, and listened to, so I hope we make sure we’re all prepared to consider Scotland’s future. 

It won’t be roses all the way. Has it ever been? But will it be as dire and as bleak as the No campaign are constantly warning us? Good bye Dr Who and all that?
More recently, I’m told that businesses need stability and a Yes vote could be disruptive. 
For whom? Their share holders? Or do we really believe they are prioritising the well being of their Scottish workers? 

This last week or so we have seen (more) negative predictions from banks & financial institutions warning us that they will up sticks and leave an independent Scotland.
These are the very institutions that brought us to a near financial collapse just a few, short years ago.
Where then was their financial, risk taking analysis?
Where then was their future planning?

 Will they unilaterally up sticks and leave behind a trained, experienced work force with the attendant infrastructures?
Is that sound business practice? Following on from a yes vote, wouldn't it be good (business) practice to sit and negotiate in the arena as long established stakeholders, with a view to the future?

And what of the EU and the possibility of a UK referendum removing us from the EU should there be a no vote? 
Maintaining the status quo is not ‘stability’ 
And ‘stability’ is not the reason for the referendum: Scotland’s future is.

I would rather have the positive change that will come with independence.
I want my vote to count where it’s needed.
I’m voting for my independent Scotland.   

 For Int Womens Day:

http://ind.pn/1ggzDL9 

For independent reading:

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment